Thursday, September 24, 2009

Anticipating Another New Adventure


View Larger Map

Well, as Autumn is now here, it is once again time to change the view outside my window. I am definately done with the freezing winds and piles of snow up here in the northern plains. Time to head south. Our original plan to head back to the friends we left behind in Georgia has fizzled, as Stone Mountain Park is struggling to get approval for any new workampers for this winter, and my anxiety was starting to take hold. I started investigating other opportunities through Workamper News, and actually found a great one for next summer, only a couple miles from our kids in Minnesota, but this winter still was looking bleek.

Then, out of the blue, I received the call from Texas. My Uncle Buzzy had called me last winter about a small fishing resort that he liked to frequent who was looking for help to run a small store/bait shop/cafe. He knew that I had previous experience working in both food service a and retail and had told the shop owner of us. I had spoken briefly to the sister of the owner who was currently running the shop, and she had told me of the cafe that they were adding, stating that they would probably need someone late in the summer or early fall. I had told her that we might be interested, but quite frankly, forgot all about it.

What a Godsend, (and yes, we had said our prayers). I thank my Mother for teaching me that prayers are answered. She has proved this over and over again in her life and testimony, passing it on to her children and grandchildren. Love you Mom!

Now, jobs were covered for the next year, all we needed was a truck large enough to pull our 5th wheel. This was a challenge. Not to find a new truck, but to sell our current one. It was only a 6 cylinder 1/2 ton, and without 4 wheel drive, it was just not in demand here in Iowa with winter coming on. Although the retail value was over $7,000, we ended getting less then half of that, but found another truck for only slightly more that was totally set up to haul a 5th wheel trailer. It was older, a 1994 F-250, but only had 120,000 highway miles on it and had been garaged for the last two years, as the previous owner was 80 and no longer snowbirding in the winter. He had added custom diamond plate trim to the box and two boxes for the bed. It is an unusually bright blue and I decided to name it "Beasty Boy Blue". I think the name fits well.

We are listing our freezer on Craigslist to sell, as we will need the additional funds for new back tires, (one sidewall blew out on the way home with it). This is our last big hurl, then it's on the road again, on a wing and a prayer. Gene has experience driving tractor trailer from the military, so I'm hoping that it is transferable to Beasty taking the 5th. Heading out next Tuesday, so we will find out!

Until next time......
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. We have a 1997 Ford F-250 that is still going strong. We keep up with the maintenance on it, and it loves us in return. It pulls our trailer just fine. I am sure you will get many years good service out of that truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the new truck do pulling your 5th wheel to Texas. We have loved ours, it does a great job.

    ReplyDelete